The Top 10 Newcomers to Pakistani Cinema
The year 2013 saw a string of great films being released by Pakistani cinema, the films which stemmed from different genres such as horror and political to sports and action, there was definitely change in the air. With change also came the introduction of talent that had been injected to the films to give them that innovative change. The list below highlights the top 10 newcomers into Pakistani cinema.
10. Sanam Marvi – During the years coming up to revival of cinema we were so use to seeing a drastic change in the music of our films. Whereas some music directors chose to grab vocals from neighbouring India, others such as Wajid Ali Naushad chose to expose the talent that Pakistan held onto. Sanam Marvi the powerful voice from the plains of Sindh made her playback singing debut in Shezad Rafique’s Ishq Khuda. Her diversely talented yet unique voice used for the item number Tez Choona was one of the main reasons audiences flocked to cinemas to watch Ishq Khuda. It highlighted an element that a singer that was utilised in Coke Studio, Lux Awards and drama soundtrack could very well be utilised in our film industry.
9. Mathira – The daring diva who captivated audiences in Main Hoon Shahid Afridi with her item number Masti Main Doobi. Mathira notoriously known for her daring antics and even more for her amazing talent as a belly dancer has performed on stage and various music videos yet the dancing diva only stepped into the movie screen last year. It was a great step considering the dance and the song were equally as good as each other it also highlighted that ‘hum kisi se kam nahi’ with regards to dance numbers.
8. Sahir Ali Bagga – The music director of Zinda Bhaag showed exactly why he was so popular in leading Bollywood movies. His diverse application of music with an equally powerful delivery of vocals means that the music in the end is nothing more then excellent to listen to. The music was an instant hit not just nationally but internationally too. Sahir Ali Bagga has produced music on several fronts including for joint Pakistani and Indian venture Virsa, Bollywood film Cocktail and several drama soundtracks. After the success of the music from Zinda Bhaag he is currently working on the music to Hijrat and Tamanna two more upcoming Pakistani films.
7. Iram Parveen Bilal – The independant film director and producer who shot to fame after her film Josh acclaimed at several international film festivals released in Pakistan and in the UK amongst other destinations. Iram took several social issues affecting Pakistan today and portrayed them in a perfect manner through silver screen. The director also was one of the few film directors to be acknowledged by the BBC for her work for Pakistani cinema. Iram struggled to make and bring to us Josh but has come out on the other side deserving of all the praise she gets.
6. Hamza Ali Abbasi – The man who played roles in Main Hoon Shahid Afridi and Waar is was exemplary of the talent which Pakistan is full of. His villainous role in Main Hoon Shahid Afridi alongside his heroics in Waar show that he is a legend in the making, a diverse actor suitable for several roles. He is currently working on completing his own film Kambakht which hopefully should be releasing in cinemas in 2014.
5. Azfar Jafri – The director of the film Siyaah was another independent flick which made such a difference. Azfar Jafri’s Siyaah was the first of the major films to be released in 2013 although it was a very small release the film went on to be the best way to kick off Pakistan’s cinematic role of 2013. The film is not the first of the horror genre in Pakistan but Siyaah is definitely different on the scale of standards of horror movies in Pakistan from effects and acting to deliverance.
4. Aamna Ilyas – The ever gracious model who kick started her acting career in the film Zinda Bhaag is fourth on our list. Starring as a soap salesperson in Zinda Bhaag she highlighted that our models are the faces needed to help our film industry exceed and rightly so Aamna after the release of Zinda Bhaag has signed and begun work in a few dramas and commercials and at the same time she is gearing up for her next movie release Good Morning Karachi.
3. ARY Films – The production house that bought us Waar, Zinda Bhaag, Josh, Main Hoon Shahid Afridi and Lamha in 2013 has several films in the pipeline including Jalaibee, Kambakht and Waar 2. It was the idea of ARY Films to provide a platform for our movies both nationally and internationally and even more recently with its ARY Film Awards. It is amazing that a media house of such callabre is assisting Pakistani cinema to reach the heights that it deserves. Exactly what Pakistani cinema needs.
2. Bilal Lashari – How can we not acknowledge the director who bought to us Pakistan’s biggest film to date. Waar will go down as an asset in Pakistani cinema and rightly so. Thanks to Bilal Lashari our film industry was even being praised by Bollywood directors. It is because of the efforts of Bilal Lashari and directors alike that the standards bar of film making has been raised in Pakistan and he is all set for his next venture Maula Jatt.
1. Aamina Sheikh – The model turned actress who has been classed as the Angelina Jolie of Pakistan, after successfully captivating Pakistani dramas Aamina made her mark in Armaan, Josh and Lamha in 2013. She is definitely the new face of Pakistani cinema and is all set to take audiences again in the action packed Operation 021. With an agenda to change the image of Pakistani women worldwide Amina is defo the best newcomer of 2013 to Pakistani cinema.